Tuesday 22 March 2011

Beginning Module 1

What are some of the important facets of an English teacher's role?
To teach kids how to read for enjoyment and then for learning. My kids can read, but it wasn't until they had brilliant English teachers that they started to read for the pure pleasure of escaping into another world and happily discovering new ideas. I love reading, but I was not able to pass that love to my kids. I want to know how my colleagues did it!

List my qualities and abilities that will be strengths in my English teaching role.
  • I love high school kids and I love being around them. I love their vibe and their sassiness. I love hearing their opinions and listening to what they have to say.
  • I seem to be able to get on with the lower ability kids quite well. I want to be able to strengthen that bond by teaching them as well.
  • I enjoy being part of their world, so I like to listen to (most) of their music and watch what they are watching on their phones, on youtube, on tv and their ipods.
  • I have an immature sense of humour that they can relate to and they appreciate my honesty when it is given with respect.
  • I love being a teacher and it keeps me young!
List the knowledge and skills that I expect to learn from this subject.
  • I expect to learn how to teach the lower ability kids to read and spell correctly. I will provide the stimulation and engagement.
  • I expect to learn a whole lot more about my native tongue, despite being a foreign languge teacher.
  • I want to know how to UNDERSTAND COMPLEX POETRY!! I am awful at that!
  • I want to know how to get words to flow effortlessly from my head to the page.
Next...Sawyer et al.

No comments:

Post a Comment