Tuesday 22 March 2011

Wayne Sawyer. 'Knowledge about language' and grammar

I really enjoyed reading this chapter as it made a lot of sense to me. I totally agree that it is more important to focus on your content, audience purpose and the organisation of your writing before you consider which areas of grammar you will concentrate on.
However, I do see the other side of the argument as well. I used to have a very learned colleague who was taught grammar in the traditional way. She was able to show me how to improve my writing and was always correcting my word expression. I learnt alot from her as well.

Hi to my good friend Annie! Thank you for teaching me about split infinitives!

I especially enjoyed Sawyers analogy of speech with the abilities to drive a car. That was quite illuminating.

Ultimately, his two questions regarding the kind of knowledge of grammar that would be of most use and best deployed to benefit secondary students were the most relevant issues that are occurring in high school classroms everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment